Car Accident Attorneys
Car accidents are usually a traumatic event especially if the other driver is solely to blame. The victim(s) undergoes the shock of the accident which may have caused serious physical injury and may also have destroyed the car. A car accident attorney is the best person to contact to help recover the money to pay for accident related bills in cases of physical injury involved, and also will be able to recover compensation for both the loss and suffering.
Mostly, if an accident causes fatal or severe injuries or alcohol was involved, the state prosecutes the driver who caused the accident. However, for other car accidents, the driver and the insurance company are left to solve the bills involved which ultimately are also resolved in court thereby the importance of having a trusted car accident attorney on speed dial.
So what are the main causes of car accidents?
There are many causes that can lead to a car accident but the main ones are:
- · Distracted drivers who may be talking on phone or even texting, looking at the scenery, talking to passengers giving them their full attention, fiddling with the car stereo etc.
- · Impaired drivers e.g. those that are over the legal blood-alcohol limit.
- · Speeding drivers
- · Drivers who drive aggressively and recklessly flaunting some/all traffic rules
- · Drowsy drivers that have been driving for hours without any rest or sleep, have taken medicine that has a side effect of drowsiness, or are driving late at night after a heavy meal.
- · Adverse weather conditions such as rain, fog, hailstorms etc.
What can a car accident attorney do?
A car accident attorney is a type of personal injury lawyer and they are well learned to be able to represent accident victims who are undergoing gravitation, yet the other driver was the one at fault. When the car accident attorney receives the request to represent one of the victims he/she:
- · Conducts an investigation whereby they look at the evidence pertaining to your case i.e. the automobile itself, reviews police recordings and also may go to the field and talk to witnesses.
- · Assess the total cost incurred after the accident which includes: medical bills, cost to repair the damaged/destroyed car, lost wages and also the pain and suffering of the victim.
- · Will open the negotiation table for the other driver’s attorney and/or insurance company in order to be able to come to an amicable resolution i.e. an off the court settlement.
- · Can file a lawsuit against the driver at fault if the negotiation hits a dead end.
- · Represents the victim in a court of law at the best of their knowledge and be able to fight for what is truly just and fair.
Car accident attorney advice to accident victims
It is important to note that when referring to victims, it is not only the driver that is categorized as one. Passengers, bystanders or even a spouse of an injured or dead person is placed in that category. Victims can be able to receive money for all accident related bills from the driver, the owner of the car or even the driver’s employer. The victim can also receive punitive damages which are a great way to punish the driver for his/her actions.
Some of the victims are contacted by the other driver’s insurance company or attorney with an aim of getting information on the injuries sustained. It is important to note that no one should feel pressured to give out information regarding their injuries and should, therefore, stick to giving only their basic contact information. Other issues concerning negotiation are better left to the car accident attorney.
Benefits of hiring a car accident attorney
There are a number of reasons why you should opt hiring a car accident attorney rather than represent yourself:
- · The car accident attorney has experience in cases similar to yours.
- · He/she is well adverse with the laws governing your state, therefore, will be able to value your claims and comfortably negotiate a settlement.
- · He will be able to represent you in court with actual facts and have relevant citations.
- · The other driver’s side will also take your case more seriously especially if you have a reputable car accident attorney representing you.
Cost of hiring a car accident attorney
A car accident attorney usually charges a contingency fee meaning you don’t pay upfront, rather you pay a certain percentage of the award received when the claim is successful.